Hunslet Engine Company is renowned throughout the world as a designer and manufacturer of quality industrial shunting, tunnelling and specialised locomotives.
New locomotive manufacture forms only part of the services provided by Hunslet. Many operators find the cost of new equipment is prohibitive, and that it is more cost effective to refurbish existing vehicles and equipment.
Products and Services
Design and Manufacture:
- Design and manufacture of locomotives for the UK and export markets.
- Team of experienced engineers and designers are able to provide a wide variety of innovative products.
- Industrial shunting, tunnelling & specialised locomotives.
Refurbishment, Modernisation and Repairs:
Using modern testing equipment operated by skilled engine and transmission technicians, retrofit programmes purposely designed to extend the serviceable life of components are offered to our customers.
- Locomotives can be completely refurbished and supplied with new technology diesel engines which meet with current EU emission regulations.
- Transmissions and braking systems are controlled via intelligent software for ease of maintenance, reliability and repeatability of functional controls.
- Spacious modern comfortable driving cabs offering low noise and all-round visibility can also be provided.
- Engineering Consultancy – A consultancy service is provided for advice, investigation, analysis and design.
- Financial Arrangements – Credit, leasing and hire services are available.
- Wheelsets – A complete service for all types of locomotive wheelsets is provided. From re-tyring, re-wheeling, re-profiling, all work is subject to strict quality audits. Non-destructive testing, magnetic particle inspection, ultrasonic and ultraviolet axle testing form part of customer service.
- Commissioning – Service technicians are available to visit site and help to support customers with their new or refurbished installations.
- Local Manufacture - Local manufacture and assembly of complete locomotives, power and transmission equipment components to Hunslet designs inclusive of advice and initial project management by Hunslet personnel at site.
- Accident Damage – Locomotives that have suffered collision damage can be inspected and surveyed to ascertain the damage present. Depending on the severity of the damage, the vehicle can be repaired on site or returned to our works where further detailed inspection and rectification can be carried out.
Hire, Lease and Outright Purchase:
Whatever your locomotive requirements, Hunslet have a business package to suit all your operational needs.
- Locomotives are available for immediate lease hire or outright purchase.
- Business packages can be arranged to incorporate full service and maintenance cover.
- Short, medium or long term hire available.
Whatever your requirements, you can be guaranteed that all Hunslet locomotives are maintained to the highest standard to provide for maximum operational availability.
Field Service and Replacement Parts:
- Hunslet Engine Company operate a 24 hour a day emergency call out service 364 days a year.
- Multi skilled engineers conversant with many types of locomotive, covering both diesel and electric powered traction systems.
- Extensive range of specialised spare parts or complete service exchange units.
Hunslets on-site training programmes help you and your staff learn more about their job. We are happy to share with you our own expertise, in a way that will enable you to use these skills in the workplace.
Technical update and refresher courses ensure that staff are kept abreast of the latest techniques and advancements in locomotive operation and maintenance. Courses are tailored to suit your individual requirements and carried out either on your site, or at our facility in Leeds.